Saturday, November 12, 2011

Roman Legions / Hadrian's Wall /Britain




So there have been many many movies based on the topics above.
Here are a few and my recommendations:


King Arthur (2004) PG-13 (Theatrical) R (Director's Cut) 126 mins
IMDB Rating 6.4



Plot Summary:
Arthur is actually a roman soldier, and the movie takes place while the Roman Empire is essentially collapsing. Arthur leads a bunch of his 'knights' from Hadrian's wall. He and his knights only want to finish their duty and be honorably discharged and freed. They are given one final mission to rescue a boy.

My Take:
First off: See the Director's cut.

There has been a lot of criticism about this film, but for what it is, I found it amusing. Its also the first movie I saw Clive Owen in. The movie has a pretty all star cast and an INCREDIBLE soundtrack, some pretty funny lines and some good fight sequences. It's no gladiator or braveheart but still good.

Recommendation: See IT


The Eagle (2011) PG-13 (Theatrical) 114mins
IMDB Rating 6.2



Plot Summary:
So the story is, the Ninth legion vanishes without a trace and a young centurion named Marcus Aquila arrives from Rome to figure out the mystery and restore the reputation of his father, the commander of the Ninth. He and his british slave Esca set out past Hadrian's wall to find the lost emblem of the Ninth, the Eagle.



My Take:

Well, I thought the opening scene was awesome. But honestly the rest of the movie was fairly unremarkable. this may seem harsh, but I really didn't care or give a damn about the characters in this movie. I thought It was kind of lame. The ending wasn't that great either.

Recommendation: Skip it.

Centurion (2010) R (Theatrical) 97 mins
IMDB Rating 6.4
Plot Summary:
The ninth legion, is once again the topic of discussion like in the Eagle. In this version, the Ninth gets utterly annihilated and the survivors are on a quest to just get back home.


My Take:
I really liked this film. It stars the chick from Hitman, and magneto from Xman First Class. I thought the violence and combat sequences were really good.

Recommendation: See IT

No comments:

Post a Comment