Saturday, January 30, 2016

Windows Update Endless Loop Booting Error

So I recently got into a terrible situation where my computer failed updates so I kept seeing the following two messages, even in safe mode:
--------------------------------------------------------------


Preparing to configure Windows….
Do not turn off your computer.

Failure configuring windows updates reverting changes….
Do not turn off your computer  
--------------------------------------------------------------

There were a LOT of posts, but none of them actually helped since most involved you being able to get into safe mode and I couldn't because I would see those messages. I found this reddit post that most effectively outlines my issue:  HERE

Another good reference HERE

A list of the things I tried just like the post:
  • Unplugged external media (including CD/DVD player) (Did nothing)
  • Boot into Last Known Good Configuration (Did nothing)
  • Delete cleanup.xml / pending.xml (they were not actually there)
  • Run SFC (failed stated that a recovery process had to run first)
  • System Restore (Probably would have worked but I didn't have any at the time) 
  • Windows 7 repair disc 

 Just like the guy in the reddit post, I basically left it alone after attempting to boot into safe mode with command prompt, 24 hours later, magically at the screen. Sorry, doesn't seem like I have a good solution either.



No comments:

Post a Comment